Embarking on an accounting career journey can be as strategic as the discipline itself. With Online Courses Australia, you have the opportunity to build a solid groundwork that's critical for any aspiring accountant. Online Xero & MYOB accounting courses can fast-track your entry as an accountant, allowing you to quickly develop essential accounting skills through flexible learning options.
At OCA, you’ll dive into the essentials of bookkeeping & accounting, understand the principles of auditing, and get familiar with the intricacies of financial statements and cash flow. These skills are not just foundational; they are the daily tools of the trade for practicing accountants working to keep businesses financially healthy.
What Does an Accountant Do?
An accountant manages a business's finances, ensuring accurate tracking of income and expenses, and compliance with tax laws. They oversee transactions, balance sheets, and financial planning, aiding in the company's financial decision-making and health.
Day in the Life of an Accountant
A typical day in the life of an accountant in Australia will see you do a whole range of different tasks, such as:
Typical Daily Duties
- Reviewing financial statements to assess accuracy and completeness.
- Recording transactions,and managing invoices, sales, bills, and purchases through Microsoft Excel or other tools.
- Reconciling bank accounts to ensure all cash flow is accounted for.
- Advising on the financial implications of products and services.
- Overseeing fixed assets and tracking their depreciation.
- Processing payroll, ensuring accurate and timely employee payments.
- Preparing and filing BAS returns, maintaining tax compliance.
- Analysing budgets and financial data to support business decisions.
Contemplating a career as an accountant? You’ll need a blend of soft skills (skills you likely already have) and hard skills (skills you’d learn via study pathways).
Accountant Soft Skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Organisational skills
- Problem-solving abilities
- Discretion and trustworthiness
Hard Skill-Sets for Accountants
- Proficiency in accounting software: Skilled use of platforms for financial recording and analysis like Xero & MYOB.
- Advanced knowledge in financial reporting: Preparing detailed reports that comply with legal financial practices.
- Taxation expertise: Understanding and applying tax laws accurately to prepare tax returns and offer tax planning advice.
- Auditing: Conducting thorough reviews of financial records to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Budgeting and forecasting: Developing and managing budgets, and forecasting future financial positions based on trends and data.
- Regulatory compliance: Keeping up to date with financial regulations to ensure all accounting practices meet legal standards.
- Financial analysis: Interpreting financial data to guide business strategy and performance improvement.
How Much Can You Earn as an Accountant?
According to the Australian Government Labour Market Insights, the average salary for an accountant is $91,312.
Accountant Job Outlook
The Australian job market for accountants has been steadily growing over the past five years.
According to Jobs & Skills Australia’s accounting employment outlook, the number of accounting jobs is likely to reach 212,800 but 2026.
This means there’s never been a better time to begin your career path towards becoming an accountant, with plenty of job opportunities now and into the future.
How to Become an Accountant
Whether you want to work as a tax accountant for a small business or large corporation, there are plenty of pathways to fast-track your career as an accountant.
- Online Study: Begin your accounting journey with online courses designed for real-world application. They're comprehensive, yet flexible, allowing you to learn the ropes of accounting at your own pace, a perfect match for anyone with a busy schedule.
- Targeted Short Courses: Enhance your accounting acumen with short, specialised courses focused on key areas such as managing budgets. These courses are practical and provide concentrated knowledge that's directly applicable to any accounting role.
These learning options are more than just courses; they're practical steps towards a career in financial accounting, equipping you with valuable, workplace-ready skills.
Start Your Accountant Journey With OCA
Want to get a handle on the numbers game and get your foot in the door at Australian accounting firms? Start your accounting training with Online Courses Australia, right from the comfort of your own home.
Study That Fits Your Life
We get you up to speed with the important bits of accounting, all in a way that fits around your commitments. Whether you want to study part-time or full-time, the choice is yours.
Learn When It Works for You
Say goodbye to rushing to classes or sitting in traffic. With our courses, you can learn at the pace that suits you, wherever you feel most comfortable.
Take the first step towards an accounting career with Online Courses Australia and start building skills that could open doors in the finance world. Enrol today.
If you have additional questions about our finance courses or our full range of courses that cover more than 20 different professional industries:
Related Courses & Roles
If you have a genuine passion for working in finance, the financial industry offers a wealth of career options beyond just accounting.
Here are some related courses and roles to check out:
- Career Development