If you’re not being fulfilled by your current job, it may be time for a career change. The thing is, it can be pretty challenging to choose a direction with so many available. However, we’re here to tell you about one option in particular - that of the aged care worker.
Why should someone choose a career as an aged care worker?
It’s perhaps one of the most rewarding and satisfying jobs you can get, as you make a big difference to those you care for. There are some jobs that are just jobs, but this one can become a passion as you make lasting friendships with those in the twilight of their lives.
What skill is needed to become an aged care worker?
Well, if you’re pursuing this route, your personal development should focus on your organisational skills, but much of what’s needed can’t be learnt from a book. As career counselling wisdom shows us, the skills that will serve you well include:
- A passion for your work and meeting the needs of those you care for
- Being encouraging and positive in challenging situations
- An observant nature so you can spot issues as they arise
- Excellent communication skills
- Patience - you’ll need lots of it
- Having empathy for your patients
So, What Are the Main Duties of An Aged Care Worker?
Suppose you choose aged care for your career change. In that case, your role is highly varied, as you
provide general assistance, emotional support, care and companionship for seniors in their client’s home or in a residential care facility.
The primary duties include:
- Accompanying aged & disabled persons during daily activities
- Assisting clients with their mobility
- Preparing food for clients
- Arranging social activities
- Performing housekeeping tasks such as vacuuming & cleaning
- Assisting in personal hygiene & dressing
- Providing companionship, friendship & emotional support
- Shopping & running errands
There’s a good chance that you may even live with the person too, meaning you’re not just a carer, you’re a friend, companion and witness to the world. Aged care workers are generally compassionate, patient and friendly people who assist them with their tasks and enjoy talking with elderly people.
Enjoy a Rewarding Career Change With OCA Online Training
The number of people working as aged carers grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to do so again over the next 5 years. The great news is that CPD Accredited online training like our great value Aged Care Course Bundle represents a convenient and affordable way to get into the field and enjoy everything that it offers.
Our student study demo shows the next-level learning experience we offer, something that’s complemented by one-to-one mentoring and tutorial support 24/7/365. To learn more about this or our entire course library that covers 20+ sectors, visit us today at www.onlinecoursesaustralia.edu.au.
To speak to us directly about your needs, however, all you need to do is give us a call on 1300 611 404 or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of your inquiry, we’ll get back to you as soon as we possibly can.