You typically don’t have to go too far into most good relationship counselling courses before you come across conflict resolution and that’s because it’s at the heart of most things you’ll ever talk about with your clients. Conflicts can come from anywhere, be they major or minor and can occur over what others may perceive to be the merest of differences.
While many of these differences can seem quite trivial, when left to fester, they can drive a wedge between two people - both of whom need to feel understood, valued and respected. When this doesn’t happen naturally between two or more people - that’s when professional help is needed.
Opposing, But Valid Standpoints
As good counselling courses will tell you, it’s not your job to judge whether one side is right and the other is wrong, rather you’re there to help build bridges between two or more people. Often you’ll find that there IS no right or wrong opinion, with both sides having valid viewpoints that just happen to be opposing ones.
Let’s now have a look at some other interesting facts about conflict resolution...
- Conflicts are not mere disagreements, as they represent situations where one or more person believes that a threat exists to their interests, safety or wellbeing.
- Conflicts actually represent an opportunity for those involved to grow, as when a successful resolution is found, trust is built.
- Emotions can run pretty high during conflicts - something that might have built up over time.
- Many joining you for counselling will have preconceived ideas about the ‘facts’, which are often wide of the mark.
- When left to fester, small problems that aren’t dealt with can turn into big ones, leading to people actually forgetting what the original disagreement was about.
Counselling courses teach you many useful things, but facilitating conflict resolution is one of the most important skills to master. It requires you to listen intently to both sides, determining common ground and then mediating to come to an agreement that each party is happy with.
The wonderful aspect of this kind of work is that it brings people together - people who may otherwise have stayed at odds with each other for many years. What does success look like? Two or more people leaving your office happier and more connected. Job satisfaction indeed.
Flexible, Affordable & Stimulating Counselling Courses
Conflict can be extremely damaging to a relationship, but it can also be something that brings people closer together when a trained professional gets involved. If you like the sound of being that professional, you can get the training you need affordably and in a way that can fit your current life and work obligations.
Our Counselling Advanced Certificate is one example of the CPD-approved counselling courses we offer at OCA that are not only created in collaboration with industry experts but are also able to be paid for in manageable instalments without a credit check! If you’d like to know more about this or any of the video-based professional training we offer that covers 20+ industries, visit us today at www.onlinecoursesaustralia.edu.au.
Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your training requirements with a member of our team, you can do so by calling us today on 1300 611 404.
If you or anyone you know needs support:
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636
- MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
- Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Headspace on 1800 650 890
- QLife on 1800 184 527
0 Comments)Show comments (