Australia's photography scene is booming, with a whopping $1 billion industry value in 2022 (source: IBISWorld). Professional photographers in Australia typically earn around $75,000 per year, making it an appealing career choice.
If you're keen on exploring digital photography, online courses are a flexible and budget-friendly option to fast-track your career.
But with so many photography courses out there, how do you find the best one? In this article, we'll teach you how to choose the perfect online photography course for your career goals.
What's Covered in an Online Photography Course?
With the digital revolution, the photography profession has transformed significantly. Gone are the days of darkrooms and developing fluids; now, we rely on photo editing software like Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom. But what can you expect to learn in an online photography course? Quite a bit!
First and foremost, you'll dive into the fundamentals of photography, focusing on what truly makes a difference in capturing great photos. Online photography courses, such as OCA’s Photography Masterclass Bundle, cover a wide range of topics. These include:
- Camera settings
- Shutter speeds
- White balance
- Working with natural light
- Using Lightroom presets
- Understanding ISO (sensitivity to light),
- Understanding depth of field
The Comprehensive Skill Set of a Professional Photographer
Once you've grasped the basics of photography, you'll delve into more advanced subjects, covering a wide range of skills required in the professional realm. These include:
- Various Photography Styles: You'll explore different photography genres, such as landscape, fine art, wedding, portrait, street, and wildlife photography.
- Choosing the Right DSLR Camera: Learn how to select the ideal digital camera from major manufacturers like Nikon and Canon to suit your needs.
- Filmmaking and Photography Tips: Take your expertise to the next level, venturing into the world of moving pictures and the technical aspects involved.
- Post-Production Editing and Enhancement: Discover how to achieve the best results in photography through the use of editing and enhancement software.
Online photography courses provide a thorough grasp of photography fundamentals, just like in-person classes. Yet, with the numerous courses available, how do you choose the best online photography course?
6 Tips for Choosing the Best Photography Course Online
Start by figuring out your goals. Are you looking to take amazing photos with your iPhone, or are you serious about pursuing a photography career? If it's the latter, here's what to look for in online photography courses:
- Course Levels: Your current skill level matters, so seek course providers that offer options for beginners, intermediates, and advanced learners.
- Industry-Relevant Content: To succeed in the photography industry, you need to learn the latest trends and techniques. Choose courses that provide up-to-date and industry-led content.
- Self-Paced Learning: Everyone learns at their own speed, so opt for modular courses that allow you to learn at your own pace, rather than being tied to a group schedule.
- Video-Based Learning: Engaging video tutorials can be more captivating than traditional text-based materials. Many learners find visual learning more effective and memorable.
- Ongoing Evaluation and Feedback: Look for courses that offer periodic quizzes to assess your understanding and, ideally, provide expert mentoring for guidance.
- Lifetime Access: The best online photography courses often grant lifetime access. This means you can revisit and refresh your knowledge whenever you need it.
Get True Focus On Your Photography Career With OCA Online Learning
Plus, for each completed module, you can earn CPD points, further enhancing your photography journey. And, with one-on-one mentoring and lifetime access to course content from wherever you are, there’s no better learning pathway.
Want to find out what it’s like to study at Online Courses Australia? Watch our Student Study Demo to get a taste of the OCA difference.
If you’re ready to enrol or have additional questions, reach out to us at 1300 611 404 or [email protected]. We’re here to help you take your career to the next level.
- Career Development