Are you thinking of changing your career path? Or are you unsure of what it is you want to do? At OCA, we understand. That's why we have created this Aged Care Career Sampler course to give you a taste of your potential future career in this rewarding industry.
"I have just completed the aged care career sampler course and now I'm confident I want to work in community services. This was the most stress-free course I've ever done! And the technical support was available so readily, I'd recommend any of the courses available from this company!" - Darren
You will have nothing to lose by enrolling in our Aged Care Career Sampler course. Experiencing "a day in the life of an aged care worker" will help you to confirm you have made the right career choice. This course will also give you an indication of the type and level of study required to turn your dream into a reality.
If you have a passion for helping older people and think that you would enjoy working in aged care and community, then give this course a go! This particular aged care course is the first step to a solid career in this industry giving you the skills and knowledge you need to inspire and support the elderly as a care worker.
Become a valued and integral part of the health and community sector and make yourself highly-employable. Life is too short to do something you really don't enjoy. You can change that, TODAY!
More than one-quarter of a million people (282,000) were using residential care (permanent or respite), home care or transition care services in Australia on 30 June 2018. In addition, in 2017–18 more than 783,000 people were assisted in their home under the Commonwealth Home Support Program. This is a growing industry with considerable job opportunities across Australia.
Please check with your state department for the relevant checks and permissions that may be required to work in this industry.
Work Effectively With Older People
Work Effectively In The Community Sector
Support Older People To Maintain Their Independence
Support Individual Health & Emotional Well-Being
An older person’s circumstances have the potential to impact upon their health in both positive and negative ways. Your role as an Aged Care Worker is to identify any circumstances that have the potential to impact upon an older person’s health so that additional support can be provided to the client, and their Individual Care Plan can be modified accordingly (if necessary). Examples of circumstances that may negatively affect upon a client’s health include:
• The ageing process in general can lead to physical changes which impact a person’s health. These physical changes can impact the person’s self esteem
• General deterioration in health. This can lead to an increase in the risk of falls, as well as a decline in social interaction and physical activity
• A decline in social interaction can lead to depression and other mental health concerns, which in turn can result in poor self care
• Unpleasant side effects as a result of medications that the person is taking
• A lack of exercise can cause a decline in mobility, flexibility, fitness and a loss of muscle tone and bone strength
• A poor diet and excessive alcohol consumption can lead to a decline in general health status and functioning of the body
• Impaired cognition can lead to neglect and poor self care standards
• Decline in sensory ability (such as hearing impairment or poor vision) can increase the risk of falls
• A disruption to living arrangements, family issues and breaks in routine can cause undue stress on the older person
• A reduction in self-esteem can result in the person neglecting self-care and hygiene standards
• Boredom can lead to Behaviours of Concern, risk taking and/or depression
• Losses in the person’s life can lead to grief and possibly depression, which can impact on their health
• Poor financial circumstances can impact health because they may not be able to afford adequate food, nutritional supplements, medication, or afford memberships to clubs so that they are able to stay fit, healthy and active.
If you would like to preview this aged care course in more detail, click on DEMO above or call our team on 1300 611 404. You may also be interested in this similar course - click here.